Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What is aussie music?

I've been asked what kind of music Austrlian's listen to, but how would I know? I listen to Indie and Alternative (mainly aussie stuff. I think I put music-miles (like food-miles) on my music. I get the guilts listening to American stuff).

But what defines Aussie music?

Is is ACDC and Kylie Minoge?

Or is it Paul Kelly and Midnight Oil?

Is it contemporary indigenous Australian artists like Jimmy Little, Yothu Yindi, Tiddas, Geoffrey Gurrumul?




Or is it British India playing in a pub by the sea?

Is it all the awesome music coming out of Perth and Brisbane?

Is it Hilltop Hoods and Art vs Science playing to packed festivals?




Is it Australian pub rock?




Maybe it's Cold Chisel and a working class man.

Is it the big festivals like Splendour in the Grass, Homebake and The Big Day Out?

Maybe it's today's stuff, like The Presets, Sarah Blasko, Lisa Mitchell, Cut Copy, The Herd, Hilltop Hoods, Little Red and everything else out there?



Has anyone got any idea what I could say when someone asks 'What's Australian Music?'.

3 comments:

  1. no idea at all......it is such a hard question...it has something to do with the climate, i think, a lightness of being.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. buuttt i can't say that easily in simple french

    ReplyDelete