Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembrance Day

Today Anne and I went into the village to see the Remembrance Day celebrations.

I was incredibly disappointed.

I expected something along the lines of ANZAC day, where there’s kids running around with lamingtons and bunches of flowers their mum’s had picked when it was all dewy and old people talking about the war and everyone listening, and poems and a big gathering.



All I got here was about 25 people walking in under bollies up to the cemetary and there was one wreath layed. Most of them were older, old people, plus a few teenagers who had been dragged out to be polite.

I was majorly disappointed by the lack of servicemen. Seriously, in Australia, how many people in the average town? It’d have to be .. like ... 30? Including nurses. All those names, which is sad, but it makes me feel proud that our country is that involved in ... war? Not war, but they were just involved.

The war seemed really forgotten. It seemed more like a ... walk up to the cemetery. And that made me sad. Because war should never be forgotten.

I hope that when we head up to the north, I can see the war burials. I think it would be far more proper than this one I went to today.

those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Alisoun Townsend's Blog

Promote your Page too

No comments:

Post a Comment