Sunday, November 7, 2010

Swimming Pools!

So I’ve been meaning to write about the swimming pool since my third day in the country.

It’s different.

To say the least.

In Australia, we're trained from birth to be swimmers. Not always good ones, but swimmers nonetheless. And Australian swimmers are used to just jumping in, often in undies if they have't thought ahead. We'll jump into anything. Dam, creek, lake, swimming pool. Anything to cool down and have fun.

(Ahh, the memories of Polly McQuinns and the creek and lying in the water, getting cold, and hopping back in in half an hour ... And then there's all the adventures we had! From discovering the swimming hold when I was ... Oh, about 4? - to spending the day at Polly's)

The main difference is the rather tight regulations. You have to walk through water about three times to wash your feet, shower before you hop in the water, and you’re not allowed to wear boardies.

The boardies things really gets at me. Here, men wear speedos. Which is practically as illegal in Australia as boardies are in France. How can I explain that the budgie smugglers gross me out?? (And that one of our major political party leaders can’t shake off his past of a red pair?).

Yeah, I think the main thing that gets to me is the budgie smugglers ...

Alisoun Townsend's Blog

Promote your Page too

2 comments:

  1. haha that walking through water part to wash your feet is the same in Japan! Weird huh? Though I kinda like the idea of people having to disinfect there fugly feet before jumping in . . . it was the no visible tattoo part in Japan that threw me.

    But banning boardies in France - ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

    WILDY

    ReplyDelete
  2. tell me about it! it grosses me out! and french men are HAIRY! (also, no t-shirts).

    disinfected fugly feet is good, but they were stagnant water and it was rather gross.

    ReplyDelete